Thursday, April 16, 2015

"King of the Road." - 3-D capable - (Harmonica by Paul.)

A song by Roger Miller, a country-western singer/songwriter.  I've practically lived on the road.  Seems my living room has a line painted down the middle of it.   My fastest  for hitching across the USA: 3 and 1/2 days.  I realized that, because of my compulsion for taking photos even while on the road, I had just the thing for the visual of the vignette.



This was one of my relatively "short" runs, nothing like one of my around-the-word jaunts.  This one took me from my airport  luggage-handler job (see my harmonica video of Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain") to work with Neil, owner of an  erosion control and landscape company in Illinois, and then to California where I got stuck for a couple of weeks in a  homeless shelter for veterans in Escondido run by the "Interfaith" folks, and then on up to Alaska overland through Canada to  work as a pedicab rider until I broke my left hand and had to double as a pizza delivery man in the Chevy Cavalier.



Roger Miller had some nice, warm-hearted country melodies including an unorthodox one about London, England, a country song about bobbies on bicycles and so on.  Then he sort of faded out.  I hope he's doing okay these days.  I suppose you might say a lot of my stuff is country.  I'm originally from Georgia, so that's country-and-Eastern music, like my song written in Indonesia, "Hammer on the Sky" and so on.  There are a lot of my songs in my videos on YouTube at outube.com/paulhallart -- just type that in the address line at the top of the browser to get there.



Lyrics:



Trailers for sale or rent

Rooms to let...fifty cents.

No phone, no pool, no pets

I ain't got no cigarettes

Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom

Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room

I'm a man of means by no means

King of the road.



Third boxcar, midnight train

Destination...Bangor, Maine.

Old worn out suits and shoes,

I don't pay no union dues,

I smoke old stogies I have found

Short, but not too big around

I'm a man of means by no means

King of the road.



I know every engineer on every train

All of their children, and all of their names

And every handout in every town

And every lock that ain't locked

When no one's around.



I sing,

Trailers for sale or rent

Rooms to let, fifty cents

No phone, no pool, no pets

I ain't got no cigarettes

Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom

Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room

I'm a man of means by no means

King of the road.







No comments:

Post a Comment