Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Moon River, Leavin' of Liverpool, Farewell to Tarwathie (harmonica by Pa...

In this 2nd half of a half hour of harmonica playing, I cover: 3 songs, plus part of Stranger on the Shore and a short original.  I think, therefore A.M.  second 1/2 of 1/2 hour of me on the harp before the dawn.



words to the songs:

---- "Moon River"

music by Henry Mancini, lyrics by Johnny Mercer



Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in style some day.

Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker, wherever you're going I'm going your way.

Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see.

We're after the same rainbow's end-- waiting 'round the bend,

my huckleberry friend, Moon River and me.



---- The Leaving of Liverpool



Farewell to Prince's Landing Stage, River Mersey - Fare thee well.

I am bound for California, A place that I know right well.



Chorus:  So fare thee well my own true love; When I return united we shall be.

It's not the leaving of Liverpool that's grieving me,But darling when I think of thee.



I am bound for Calafornia By way of stormy Cape Horn, And I'm bound to write you a letter love, When I am homeward bound.



I have signed on a yankee clipper ship, Davy Crockett is her name, And Burgess he is the captain of her, And they say she is a floating hell.



 I have shipped with Burgess once before  And I think I know him well: If a man's a sailor he can get along, If not, then he's sure in hell.



Farewell to Lower Frederick's Street, Ensign Terrace and Park Lane; For I think it will be a long, long time Before I see you again.



 Oh the sun is on the harbour love  And I wish I could remain, For I know it will be a long, long time Before I see you again.





---- Farewell to Tarwathie

  By George Scroggie



Farewell to Tarwathie, adieu Mormond Hill And the dear land o' Crimond, I'll bid you fareweel I'm bound out for Greenland and ready to sail In hopes to find riches in hunting the whale



Adieu to my comrades, for awhile we must part And likewise the dear lass that fair won my heart The cold ice of Greenland, my love will not chill

And the longer my absence, more loving she'll feel



Our ship is well rigged and she's ready to sail Our crew, they are anxious to follow the whale  Where the icebergs do float and the stormy winds blow

Where the land and the ocean are covered with show



The cold coast of Greenland is barren and bare No seed time nor harvest is ever known there And the birds here sing sweetly on mountain and dale

But there isn't a birdie to sing tae the whale



There is no habitation for a man to live there  And the king of that country is the fierce Greenland bear  And there will be no temptation to tarry long there

Wi' our ship bumper full, we will homeward repair



No comments:

Post a Comment